Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gettin' It Done

I am so proud of myself that I actually finished a couple of projects that had been looming for me to do around the house - no, the chandelier from Italy is still not finished! I was determined to finish up my craft room so that I could have a counter space to work at to finish my chandelier and other crafts/scrapbooking that I may have to do. Now, you all know that my most favorite color is red, but in close second is the color turquoise. I had painted this room a couple of years ago this color and have been slowly adding and sewing things to match. It is such a cheerful color and a great space to work in. So, here are the pictures of my finished room in all its glory.........
Look at all that great spacious crafting area.....
And more.....
This used to be the only area in my craft room that I could sit and scrapbook at - talk about confined spaces. So glad to have the new counter!!
I didn't want just a "normal" counter so I glitz it up a bit by laying down dollar store paper doilies and using spray paint to paint these on - when I installed the counter top I realized that they match the flowers on the curtains and storage tower! 
This is one of my most favorite etsy purchases......an old train case in the most perfect aqua color. It is modge podged with old vintage sewing pattern pictures.....love it!!!
And this is another piece I love - an old cupboard filled with lots of goodies....
I just love having this space to work in and I love having the white storage compartments underneath - I don't like looking at a messy workspace and these really help keep everything organized. Now my daughters and I have a space to do our scrapbooking together!

The other project that I have been wanting to do was this.....
I failed to take a before picture, but if you could imagine this piece with just the clear glass doors with shelves full of DVDs for everyone's sight, it was just ugly. So, to hide the view of the DVDs I went out and bought some poster board and measured and cut it to fit the cabinet doors. I then took old hymnal pages out of some books I had and "voila" no more DVD view. It now looks great in our hallway and doesn't have the cluttered look it had before. I covered both sides of the poster board with the hymnal pages because I plan to add vintage colored pictures, ruffled crepe paper, velvet flowers, etc. to add the element of color to match our home interior. One side is going to have Christmas things and the other side will be everyday. This way when winter comes I can flip the board around to showcase the Christmas side!

While I was busy "doing" my little Lola found a warm spot on the hardwood floor and just relaxed.......
In a few weeks I will be traveling to my parents home in Oregon to enjoy the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday with them and my sisters. Unfortunately no one from my household can go with me as they are in school or working, so me and Lola will have to travel by ourselves. I am looking forward to seeing my family and spending time with them. It has been a few months since we have gotten together so we have lots to catch up on. I always enjoy "bazaaring" with my mom and sisters since here in Canada where I live there are only a few good ones to attend. The Christmas bazaars that are in my parents location have just the right stuff I am looking for to decorate for the holidays. I especially love those "vintagey" items that rekindle memories of the 60's from my childhood. It's funny how these things mean so much to us when we get older and reminisce about when were growing up - my children think I'm crazy when I go ga ga over some old item or antique that I have found in a store. They just don't get it! Maybe they will when they are my age.....

Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

Paul or Chris said...

I am so jealous of your upcoming trip to Oregon!!! Sounds like so much fun!

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

What a fantastic room to do all of your projects in! Love the colors! :)

I especially love that old train case. What a find!