Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Look Back

Feeling a bit nostalgic today...thought I'd share some photos of my grandma that I recently scanned...

This is one of my favorites - especially the story behind it. This was on a trip my grandma's parents went on to go visit family in Italy. My grandma was very young here - I'd say 4 or 5 years old. My grandma told me that when they were in Italy she somehow caught typhoid fever. She said she was very delirious and had a high fever and they couldn't find any doctors "in." Somehow they heard of this "witch doctor" who had several "concoctions" that would help the fever so they had him come around to tend to my grandma. I remember her telling me that whatever he used as a salve on her chest smelled very "disgusting." I don't know whether this picture was taken before or after she was ill. I love the kitten with her. It is a keeper...
My grandma on the far right...her love for kittens continues...

I love the bloomers...

I don't know who she is with here but she doesn't look impressed...maybe it was the fake donkey??

Here she is in some sort of dance recital - she is second from the right...

This is her with her brother - either first communion or confirmation day...

A wedding she was in - she is on the far right...

This looks like it could have been on the ranch...she told me stories of when she was just a pre-teen to teenager she would do the cooking for all the ranch hands (her mother had passed away so she was in charge of this until her father re-married)...that is why she was such a fantastic cook and people praised her "italian" cooking everywhere! A common phrase that would be said at all her meals was "you cooked enough for an army" - I guess she came about it rightly because she was used to cooking large meals for the ranch hands...

Beach beauties - she is on the left...

A beau at the time?

Here she is on the coast somewhere with her parents...

Another beau??

A ski day at Badger Pass - she is on the left...

And another beau??

Posing in the snow...

Looks like she is the "equestrian" gal...

And with the beau she ended up with - her husband...

I believe this might have been her wedding day - her sister-in-law and brother and the newlyweds...

On the ranch (which later ended up being the winery) she is on the far left with her husband, then there is her brother and his wife and her step-mom and dad...

Grandma on far left with sister-in-law and brother...

Starting on left is her mother-in-law, step-mom, herself, and her aunt...

Here she is on the far right with her brother by her side (don't know the other people)...

Some relatives...

My grandma and grandpa - I love her hat and fur collar...

Her "besties" all decked out for a day/night on the town (my grandma is on far right)...

Her bowling buddies (she is second from right)...

And it all started with these two people - her mom and dad...I love old photos and the memories and legacy they hold with them. Someday my kids will be looking back on these for a bit of "their" history. I just need to get busy and label all these photos so that they know who they are!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your pictures... they were awesome... fun to look at.

Rebecca :0)

Cheryl said...

You are so lucky to have so many pictures of your grandmother! Thanks for sahring them!

Jessi Nagy said...

hey doll,
these are fantastic!!
i just love old pics. she is a beauty!!
have a great weekend.
xoxox,
jessi

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Wow Rochelle,
Your grandmother was quite the socialite! ;)
I think that is so cool that she has so many photos of her to pass on...you are so lucky to have them!!!
She was beautiful and obviously loved life!
everything vintage

Deborah said...

I have enjoyed visiting - a little too much I think :) (I have a paper to write -darn it). love your old pictures. Love the sweet story of you and your hubby. Will definitely be back for a visit.

Roxanne said...

Rochelle, what a treasure to have thes photos. They are priceless! I really enjoyed this post and thank you for sharing them. You have one of the 'sunniest' blogs around and that's why I've chosen you for to recieve the Sunshine Award! Thanks for letting your light shine. You can pick it up at my blog.

Big hug!
Roxanne